In my Spiritual Formation in the Church (not of the Church)
Anyway, I pushed the thought out of my mind and forgot completely about it - until today that is. I'm currently reading a book by Shane Claiborne (Jesus for President...it has nothing to do with what I'm thinking but a good book nonetheless) and it suddenly struck me who he is again. He founded the Simple Way. So he could live in simplicity.
So, I'm the bathroom re-learning about Exodus and God hearing the people's cry, and the thought of simplicity comes screaming into my head. And then the thought of the 100 items or less challenge conversation comes flooding back to me.
And then I realize that I've been learning to trust God with my life and with money, so why not trust him with my possessions?
So, next year, on campus, I'll only be living with 100 items. Now, I'm going to sorta cheat a little bit. Things that I cannot live without (i.e. hygiene items, food items, cleaning supplies, etc.) won't count. Second, my books won't count either because those are also a need. Third, if it is a collection (i.e. movies), or if I can fit it into one container, I will count that as one thing. Other then that, it's limiting myself.
Can I do it? Only time will tell. but I'm counting on God to provide me with my needs. And when I desire that shiny new toy, I'll be counting on God to satisfy my desires with the things I have. As Henry David Thoreau says "as you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness, weakness."

0 comments:
Post a Comment