BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 11, 2009

Have You Seen....?

Today is 9/11. The dreaded day that we all stop (at least used to) and remember the people who died in the Twin Tower attack, and the the plane that crashed. 8 years ago, I didn't know what the twin towers were. I didn't know how my life would be impacted. I didn't know that in only 8 years people would forget. I was one of them. 


I woke up this morning totally self-absorbed. Focusing on only my classes and what the amazing prayer leader retreat this week (WHOOT!). I was focused on lunch. I was focused on packing. 

But then I remembered this past spring break. When I went to New York City on a mission trip. One of the things we did was take a prayer walk and we ended up at the 9/11 memorial site (it's in a little itty bitty church across the street from the site). Ironcially, it's survived like, three seriously building-destroying events. But whatever.

Anyway, today, as I sit here and right from way across the county, I remember. I remember the tears in my eyes as I walked past all the pictures and teddy bears and "have you seen" ads. I remember looking at the ads and sobbing with no shame. These were people who died. And all because they were in a building at the wrong place and the wrong time. People with brothers, sisters, uncles, grandmas, parents. People with stories. People who were selfish and people who were kind. People who lied and people who were honest. 

Then I remember something someone said to me. "I don't believe that firefighters are heroes, nor are cops. They gave up their lives, knowing what they were going into. So why are we honoring them so much?" And I can't help but think how wrong that person is. They ran into a building knowing they were most likely going to die. But they did it anyway.  Some did die, some are bruised up even 8 years later. Some might have lost a leg. Some were lying under rubble, waiting to die. Screaming for someone, anyone to come save them.

So today is a day to honor. Today is a day to say "thank you." You did everything you could, and it wasn't your fault for being unable to save that one person on that one floor who was trapped. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

And peace be with those lost someone. Who thought they would never have to put up an advertisement that started with "Have You Seen...."

0 comments: